Washington University of St. Louis Senior Graphic Designer & Creative Manager - Arts & Sciences Communications - 49395 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (must be able to occasionally work outside of regular hours, during busy times of the year).
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the School of Arts & Sciences. This position is for the Danforth Campus. The ability to travel to on and-off campus meetings/locations is required.
The Senior Graphic Designer is a key member of the Arts & Sciences Communications team and will be responsible for developing high-caliber, compelling digital and print marketing pieces that advance the Dean’s priorities. The Senior Graphic Designer provides strategic and active management of projects to build brand equity, awareness, and prestige that drives recruitment and helps institutional advancement. This position will implement consistent visual identity standards across all media and collaborate with university colleagues and partners in managing a wide variety of projects and brand campaigns. This is primarily a hands-on design and creative direction role, and requires design project management and collaboration skills. The ideal candidate for this role will have a talent for carrying out the vision of a dynamic and entrepreneurial academic leader, have a world-class visual portfolio, a sophisticated creative sensibility, and a flexible attitude.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creative Strategy and Graphic Design:
- Directs the design, strategy, creative approach, and overall execution of projects. Generates ideas and visual concepts, and conducts presentations to clients, in accordance with university standards.
- Produces effective campaign materials for projects and creative initiatives.
- Ensures a high standard of visual execution across all media and campaigns. Develops strategies for effective communications of assigned projects.
- Creates and implements a visual identity strategy for Arts & Sciences.
- Coordinates video and photo shoots for various partners and outlets, including the College, Admissions, digital and print publications, and social media channels.
- Oversees visual design for Arts & Sciences’ digital and print mailings and communications.
- Reviews the work of the entire creative team and provides direction and feedback on conceptual and visual design.
- Analyzes performance across digital channels and identifies areas for growth and improvement.
- Brand Management:
- Works with key partners across the University—including Public Affairs and Admissions—to develop the Arts & Sciences brand in accordance with university standards.
- Works with the undergraduate College, Admissions, A&S Advancement, and the departments, programs, and centers within A&S to express a compelling and coherent brand identity. Helps maintain alignment with the WashU brand standards.
- Develops and updates brand guidelines and approved assets for distribution to Arts & Sciences departments and partners.
- Oversees ordering and creation of all Arts & Sciences branded gear to ensure consistency.
- Innovation and Growth:
- Establishes and maintains appropriate network of professional contacts, and leverages these contacts to enhance the work and brand of Arts & Sciences.
- Maintains currency of emerging and new media trends through professional organizations and publications. Attends meetings, seminars and conferences; makes formal presentations.
- Web Graphic Design:
- Works with the A&S Web Team to provide guidance on web design.
- Oversees coherent design across A&S websites.
- Advancement Communications:
- Works on communications plans around key Advancement events.
- Creates collateral for events, presentations, donor meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Manages student interns to help with web maintenance and social media.
- Cultivates relationships with partners across the university and the Arts & Sciences branches and departments.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, graphic design, advertising, communications or a related field.
- Three years of creative experience in an agency-like setting.
- Direct experience managing a team.
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Five to seven years of increasing responsibility in visual marketing strategy and execution, with a track record of successful campaigns with measurable results.
- Experience developing and delivering effective communications in an educational or research setting.
- Experience creating online content using HTML and/or CSS and common web-design standards.
- Experience with photography and video production/editing.
- Experience in nonprofits or higher education.
The hiring range for this position is $48,087 - $62,517 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Senior Graphic Designer & Creative Manager - Arts & Sciences Communications - 49395
Job ID: 49395
Location: School of Arts & Sciences
Full/Part Time: Full-Time