Washington University of St. Louis Payroll Manager - Payroll Services - 51417 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Payroll Services. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
The Payroll Manager is an integral member of the leadership team responsible for the development and successful operation of the payroll department. This position will lead the payroll team while the Director is on a 2 ½ year project. The payroll manager will be responsible for ensuring the accurate completion of all payroll transaction processing, payroll taxation, and related payroll tax returns. This position will ensure payroll processing objectives are being met and maintain positive relationships internally with all departments and externally with auditors, and taxing agencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the payroll team in daily payroll operations.
- Monitor all daily payroll and payroll related accounting transaction processing.
- Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, including wage and hour laws.
- Analyze staff workflow and prepare in advance for high volume periods.
- Supervise, train and continually develop team members.
- Make sure excellent customer service is given to all payroll customers.
- Assist with processing when necessary.
- Manage and evaluate payroll processes.
- Identify efficiencies and work with Director on implementation.
- Recognize potential payroll risks and recommend procedures that could mitigate risks.
- Monitor manual check volume and offer suggestions for error elimination to high volume departments.
- Oversee multi-state payroll taxation and taxation of foreign employees.
- Perform monthly payroll tax balancing.
- Review all payroll tax deposits and payroll tax returns.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local withholding laws.
- Set up new states when needed.
- Develop reporting tools to aid staff in monitoring data accuracy.
- Identify additional datasets that could be monitored to improve data accuracy.
- Offer departmental support in creating tools to be used in error reduction.
- Assist the Director with strategic planning of the payroll department.
- Perform duties as necessary to support the Director.
- Provide input in strategic decision making.
- Five to seven years in a financial environment.
- Working knowledge of IRS regulations as they pertain to payroll operations.
- An undergraduate degree in accounting and/or CPP.
- Previous experience in a university and/or decentralized environment.
- Experience processing payroll for non-resident and resident aliens and related taxation.
- Experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle or WorkDay payroll systems.
- Proficient in PeopleSoft/Oracle payroll.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Proficient in Financial Reporting systems (i.e. Cognos).
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- A self-motivated individual driven by challenge with the ability to work independently; actively attempts to influence events, originates ideas and takes action.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to meet deadlines with varying degrees of pressure.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities; ability to properly assess pertinent data and develop a frame work for effective and practical solutions to complex issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a service-oriented communicator who is a true team player with the ability to forge relationships.
- Ability to work extra hours as required.
- Previous management experience.
The hiring range for this position is $66,866 - $86,990 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Payroll Manager - Payroll Services - 51417
Job ID: 51417
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time