Washington University of St. Louis Manager of Accounts Payable - Financial Services - Office of the Controller - 49657 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Financial Services. The position is located at the North Campus. The work may require travel to various offices across multiple campus locations.
The Accounts Payable Manager is an integral member of the leadership team responsible for the development and successful operations of the accounts payable department. This area is responsible for processing most of the University’s payments for goods and services. This position will ensure accounts payable objectives are being met and controls maintained while managing a customer-centric team. This team of individuals support multiple functions and responsibilities that fall under this functional area.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage operational team dedicated to supporting functional areas related to Suppliers, Expense and Miscellaneous Payments. Responsibilities include:
- Overall management of department and staff; planning and measuring performance to optimize staff and resources. Hire, train and continually develop staff.
- Display and promote high quality of customer service with interaction to internal and external customers.
- Develop and maintain detailed knowledge about applications and processes. Share information with staff to expand knowledge.
- Analyze workflow and prepare in advance for high volume periods.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal departments including Resource Management, Treasury and WUIT.
- Represent Accounts Payable as a subject matter expert on activities and touch points related to the functional area.
- Manage operational procedures, processes and applications to support accounts payable activity. Troubleshoot issues to resolution. Identify efficiencies and work with director on implementation. Recognize potential risks and ensure strong internal controls are maintained. Facilitate and implement systems development and enhancements. Examples of the team’s operational processes include:
- Supplier invoices received and paid (both electronic and hard copies).
- Business expense reimbursements.
- Miscellaneous payments.
- Payment application.
- Provide general customer support (both internal and external/suppliers).
- Resolve complex supplier issues.
- Administer and maintain supplier account records, includes timely set up of new supplier records and on-going maintenance of records.
- Accounting, Analysis and Reporting:
- Identify, gather, and analyze data used for making decisions; incorporate data in report; present recommendations to Director of Accounting Operations and management.
- Prepare, review and approve journals and account reconciliations.
- Compile and analyze monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Complete fiscal year end accrual process; prepare and submit schedules to external auditors.
- Work with report writers, develop and enhance reports for functional area and business units to provide statistics on accounts payable activity.
- Compile ad hoc reports.
- Other responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement and maintain policies and standard operating procedures to support best practices and a strong internal control environment.
- Ensure department is prepared for a successful implementation to Workday.
- Support other Financial Services activities and initiatives.
- Complete special projects and work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting, finance or business administration.
- Four to six years of progressive experience, preferably in accounts payable management, including four years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated analytical and accounting skills with strong attention to details.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience with complex, decentralized organizations.
- CPA or CMA.
- Experience with Workday Finance.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to prioritize work, delegate responsibilities and manage process-related activities.
- Adept in developing relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to influence others to meet business objectives and drive process improvements.
- Ability to work with cross functional teams effectively.
- Ability to analyze and understand complex financial processes, solve complex problems, integrate information from multiple sources, utilize strong problem solving skills, and exercise judgement.
- Ability to communicate information clearly and accurately, both written and verbal.
- Proven presentation skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced Excel and Access skills.
- Ability to develop and implement policies, processes and operating procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
The hiring range for this position is $66,866 - $86,990 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Manager of Accounts Payable - Financial Services - Office of the Controller - 49657
Job ID: 49657
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time