Washington University of St. Louis Limited) in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week. This is a time-limited position.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Office of Technology Management. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
The purpose of the technology transfer trainee position is to develop skills and provide an experience in the commercial development of research discoveries. Under the supervision of business development staff, the trainee handles straightforward, uncomplicated agreements for both patented and unpatented intellectual property (IP), evaluates university technologies for commercial potential and market technologies.
Primary duties and responsibilities include working with and assisting Technology Transfer Office staff in all activities required for transfer of technologies to the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and medical device industries, from initial invention disclosure to licensing.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Complete Technology Assessment and Commercial/Patent Reassessment on assigned invention disclosure within established OTM time frames. This assessment includes an evaluation of patentability and commercial opportunity. Make recommendations on appropriate IP protection (patent or copyright) and patent conversions.
- Work with OTM mentor and legal counsel (internal/outside) to protect intellectual property either through patenting or other proper tactics for assigned portfolio. Work with OTM mentor and patent coordinator to review patent filing/prosecution decisions and communicate with outside law firms.
- Develop marketing materials and website information on IP-protected cases. Market IP and establish contacts with potential licensees. Work with OTM mentor to manage IP portfolio and decisions on future license potential.
- Negotiate key terms and execute simple license/material transfer agreements with licensees as directed by Business Development Directors or Business Development Associates.
- Data entry relating to technologies and licensing activities of the business development directors and business development associates.
- Other duties as assigned.
Advanced degree in the life science/biomedical/medical/engineering areas or equivalent work/education combined experience.
- Some business experience in private industry or an individual with an MBA degree in his/her educational background is preferred.
- Able to assess the potential for a nascent technology in the commercial arena.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to prioritize and manage the assigned case load.
- Exceptional and demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service to internal and external clients.
The hiring range for this position is $44,090 - $56,238 annually.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Applicant Special Instructions
- Usual administrative office working conditions.
- Ability to attend meetings at local on and off campus locations.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Technology Transfer Trainee (Time-Limited) - Office of Technology Management - 41434
Job ID: 41434
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time