Washington University of St. Louis International Payroll Specialist - Accounting Services - 49648 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Accounting Services. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
To accurately maintain and analyze complex tax, treaty, and visa records for approximately 2,000 foreign national students, staff, and faculty from more than 80 countries, according to IRS regulations. Function as the primary source for payroll policies and procedures for specific departments.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all entry, detailed review, and complex analysis of foreign national taxation, treaty benefit eligibility, and visa status:
- Run substantial presence tests to recognize if the employee./non-employee is considered a resident alien or non-resident alien based on their visa type and time in the United States.
- Analyze if a treaty benefit is applicable based on the last county the employee/non-employee was in before entering the United States.
- Track when a non-resident alien becomes a resident alien, and make the appropriate FICA status changes.
- Handle inquiries and problem-solving for all foreign national employees/non-employees:
- Perform research and answer questions to a diverse group of employees/non-employees who have very limited understanding about what their taxation responsibilities are while in the United States.
- Provide support for departments:
- Customer service is given to departments this position is responsible for. Answer all payroll-related questions and process their manual check requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Five years of experience in a payroll department.
- Undergraduate degree or college-level courses in accounting and business.
- Prior experience with foreign national payroll processing using Thomson Reuters International Tax Navigator software.
- Possess ability to create PC-based spreadsheet reports.
- Previous experience in a university environment.
- Hands on experience with PeopleSoft Payroll/HR software and/or Thomson Reuters International Tax Navigator software.
- Possess ability to participate as a team member to achieve goals of Payroll Services department.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess a clear understanding of payroll taxes and deductions.
- Thorough understanding of foreign national treaties, taxation, and visa requirements.
- Ability to communicate with a very diverse customer base.
- Possess exceptional customer service skills.
The hiring range for this position is $23.07 - $29.42 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: International Payroll Specialist - Accounting Services - 49648
Job ID: 49648
Location: Danforth - Main Campus