Washington University of St. Louis Human Resources in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Human Resources. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
With minimal supervision, administers and analyses staff compensation programs. This includes job evaluation, providing guidance to HR Liaisons and department managers, HRMS approvals, participating in compensation initiatives/ projects, as well as reporting and audits.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluates and analyzes jobs in response to requests for new or revised job descriptions. Determines appropriate pay levels and FLSA classifications. Establishes equitable compensation rates while keeping in line with the external market. Maintains documentation of evaluations. Ensures job descriptions are legally compliant with outside regulatory agencies. Collaborates with Recruiters as needed regarding job postings.
- Provides guidance to HR Liaisons and department managers on pay decisions, salary offers, policy and guideline interpretation and job evaluation. Builds rapport with customers, communicating in a concise, customer-focused format.
- Participates in and may lead projects and compensation initiatives. This includes year-end merit increase process and department-wide reviews. Participates in analyses for the Spring and Fall Board of Trustees Compensation Committee meeting. Performs market compensation analyses and benchmarking, participates in third-party salary surveys. Assesses general trends in compensation levels and makes recommendations for adjustments to compensation structures. Performs related analyses such as cost projections and conducts additional research as assigned.
- Approves all staff compensation transactions entered into HRMS, ensuring consistency and adherence to policies, practices and guidelines. Ensures all proper approvals are received and payroll deadlines are met. Coordinates with HRMS team, HR Liaisons and Payroll representatives as needed.
- Develops and modifies queries and reports to generate data used for compensation planning and audits using People Soft and Excel. Audits compensation and related data in HRMS for compliance with policies and regulations.
- Keeps apprised of laws and regulations related to pay programs to ensure compliance and provide customer guidance. Stays informed regarding industry trends and best practices in compensation.
- Participates in preparation and distribution of communications related to compensation and ensures HR website is updated with current compensation information. Participates in conducting compensation administration training sessions for managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Organizational Behavior, Human Resources, Accounting, Finance or related field plus 4 years of progressive experience in analysis and administration of compensation programs, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated Microsoft Office skills including advanced level Excel skills
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills
- Demonstrated effective attention to detail
- Demonstrated effective judgment
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated effective to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work prioritize multiple goals with competing deadlines
- Knowledge of government regulations as they apply to HR and compensation programs, including knowledge of federal and state wage and hour laws
- Completion of some coursework towards CCP (Certified Compensation Professional) from World at Work organization
- MA/MS/MBA degree in Business Administration, HR or related field preferred
- Microsoft Office Access skills
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft
- Skills in writing HRMS / HR database queries / reports
- Skills in providing compensation program administration consultation to HR Liaisons and managers
- Experience in presenting to / training managers on HR / compensation administration
Base pay commensurate with experience.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Senior Compensation Specialist - Human Resources - 40783
Job ID: 40783
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time