Washington University of St. Louis Digital Content Strategist - Siteman Cancer Center - 49553 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is for the Siteman Cancer Center. The position is located at the Center for Outpatient Health. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position reports to the Associate Director of Digital Marketing and Communications and works closely with other staff and some faculty in planning, developing and executing content needs for the Siteman Cancer Center. Content development will include - but is not limited to - research, cancer prevention, health and wellness and clinical topics.
This position will have a heavy focus in web content writing, but will also assist with and be assigned non-web projects. Many of the topics will include information that has a heavy science and clinical focus. It will be the duty of the person in this position to write on these topics in such a way that the desired audience can easily comprehend the subject matter. When writing for the web and marketing, content must be written in the voice of the Siteman Cancer Center and for the distribution channel and audience it’s intended for.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support, content strategy expertise and quality assurance to end users of the Siteman web theme, a custom WordPress theme for the Siteman Cancer Center.
- Vet requests for new pages/sections from campus partners with the executive director.
- Partner with IT colleagues as needed.
- Provide guidance to campus partners on the theme’s capabilities, trends in content consumption, and practices for digital content creation and monitoring.
- Recommend content management plans to assist campus partners in maintaining their sites over the long term.
- Enter content into content management systems (WordPress).
- Assist in monitoring project schedules.
- Cultivate and foster positive campus partner service relationships.
- Audit existing pages by identifying and evaluating current content, site structure and messaging.
- Perform and present research and analysis as needed of target audiences, user needs, and usability, accessibility, and project goals. Review web analytics and competitive analyses.
- Write, edit, proof and optimize content for the Siteman website according to house and AP style. Writing duties will primarily include rewriting existing informational copy, expanding copy as needed, and writing concise and web-friendly pieces of new informational or marketing copy to fulfill specific topic requirements and communication objectives.
- Collaborate with team members and campus partners as needed to develop web content and ensure the effective delivery of these properties.
- Identify and recommend to the associate director opportunities to reuse or streamline content across siteman.wustl.edu and its secondary sites as well as social media channels.
- Create information architecture as needed. Structure website content and navigation according to usability, business goals and web best practices.
- Provide exceptional training, if needed, for the WordPress theme. This includes:
- Trains users on the use of the theme and on WordPress in general.
- Writes copy for the Siteman Cancer Center website and other resources (blog, press releases, social media, marketing materials) as applicable.
- Works with staff to develop clear content strategies that meet the needs of research and clinical operations, as well as prevention/public health efforts, at Siteman Cancer Center.
- Conduct keyword research and SEO guidelines to increase content performance and web traffic.
- Monitor, review and report on performance of content, and make changes as needed.
- Integrates with marketing staff to assist on projects as needed.
- Attend staff meetings, faculty team meetings and other appropriate meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus one year of experience with the development of content for digital communications, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be proficient at working within content management systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, or related field and a minimum of 3 years of experience.
- 3+ years of experience in a content development role with a writing emphasis.
- Some experience with writing about science heavy topics.
- Some experience writing in a health care setting.
- Familiarity with keywords and SEO strategy.
- Familiarity with content management systems, especially WordPress.
- Familiarity with Google Docs and Google Analytics.
- Photo and video production and editing.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel).
- Ability to work under deadline pressure but maintain attention to detail. This individual should be able to write and edit in the voice of the Siteman Cancer Center while maintaining a focus on the integrity of our parent institutions.
- Excellent writing skill and execution of grammar and spelling.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to write for both consumer and clinical audiences.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and time efficiently.
- Ability to write about complex medical and scientific subjects in an easy-to-comprehend style.
- Exceptional attention to detail, the ability to stay on task, and the ability to work with varying levels of staff and faculty to gather information, write and distribute content appropriately.
- Excellent project management abilities in a face-paced environment.
The hiring range for this position is $47,986 - $61,194 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Digital Content Strategist - Siteman Cancer Center - 49553
Job ID: 49553
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time