Washington University of St. Louis Assistant to the Chair/Department Head - Orthopaedic Surgery - 51382 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
Position provides administrative assistance and office support to the Chair/Department Head, which requires considerable judgement, tact, creativity and initiative. Responds to questions and inquiries and makes decisions, when appropriate, in the absence of Chair/Department Head according to organizational policies and procedures. May have functional responsibility for providing direction to other administrative staff.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Anticipates and prepares materials needed by the Department Head for conferences, meetings, appointments, and telephone calls.
- Interprets and adapts guidelines, including policies, precedents, and practices not always completely applicable to changing situations.
- Reads publications, regulations and directives and takes action as appropriate.
- Prepares special reports, summaries or replies to inquiries.
- Assists executive with administrative details, usually of a confidential nature.
- Compose a variety of materials, including letters, memos, confidential reports and correspondence with responsibility for format, arrangement of attachments, correct spelling and grammar.
- Notes commitments made by Department Head during meetings and arrange for implementation or follow-up.
- Schedules appointments, gives information to callers and responds to callers inquires.
- Greets guests, ascertains nature of business and handles situations as appropriate.
- Performs independent research and coordinates data for reports and presentations.
Equivalent of an associate degree with seven years administrative/secretarial responsibilities.
- Some previous supervisory experience in a medical setting.
- Ability to use discretion and independent judgement, work under pressure and adhere to short deadlines.
- Organizational, verbal and written skills.
- Ability to handle multiple situations with tact and a service-oriented attitude and supervise/direct secretarial personnel.
Base pay commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Whether suffering from a sports injury, hip pain, back pain or any musculoskeletal condition, Washington University Orthopedics provides a full complement of comprehensive orthopedic services to meet the needs of every patient. Combining the best in both inpatient treatment and outpatient care and rehabilitation, the practice is nationally recognized for outstanding orthopedic care, innovative research and advanced professional training. It is ranked among the best orthopedic practices and holds the distinction of being listed on the Honor Roll by U.S. News & World Report. The practice is considered an innovator in both conservative orthopedic care and minimally invasive microsurgical techniques. Affiliated with Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital, Washington University Orthopedics has the unique ability to offer inpatient treatment for the most challenging cases within a top-tier academic medical center as well as outpatient surgery and care across the St. Louis region in Chesterfield, Town & Country, South County and the Central West End. The practice offers expertise in ten orthopedic subspecialties – foot and ankle, hand and wrist, hip and knee, cancer, pediatric and adolescent orthopedics, physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry), shoulder and elbow, spine (including scoliosis), sports medicine and fracture care/trauma. The orthopedic specialists are dedicated to providing safe, compassionate and family-centered care for both simple and complex orthopedic conditions. Because of the skill and experience of the doctors and staff, it is the official medical provider for the St. Louis Blues hockey team, Washington University varsity athletics and several local school athletic teams. Washington University Orthopedics brings world-class care to patients from all ages and walks of life in St. Louis and the surrounding communities.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Assistant to the Chair/Department Head - Orthopaedic Surgery - 51382
Job ID: 51382
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time