Washington University of St. Louis Administrative Coordinator - Chemistry - School of Arts & Sciences - 50603 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Chemistry. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the School of Arts & Sciences.
The Chemistry Department at Washington University in St. Louis seeks an Administrative Coordinator to assist the Department Chair and the Department Manager in coordinating the execution of the department’s operations and providing critical support for faculty affairs, academic coordination, and research administration.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the Chemistry Department Chair by assembling junior faculty reviews, and tenure and promotion packets. This role requires utmost discretion as the contents of such reviews and promotion packets are exceptionally confidential. The Administrative Coordinator must have incredible attention to detail, time management skills, and the ability to work calmly under stress and with hard deadlines. The Administrative Coordinator must be able to communicate in a professional manner, as a representative of Washington University with faculty reviewers outside of Washington University.
- Assist the Chemistry Department Manager with academic coordination for the department, including: inputting course listings into the online course listings program (WUCRSL); setting up teaching evaluation templates; coordinating the department’s evening exam calendar with the Registrar; updating the undergraduate Bulletin; making pooled classroom reservation requests for Chemistry peer mentoring and other programs; recruiting, hiring, and supervising graduate students as additional graders, proctors, department seminar helpers, and other student workers; sending evening exam reminders to graders and proctors; and managing registration for introductory chemistry courses.
- Serve as support for the Research Administration tasks in the Chemistry Department, including: pre-award grants management assistance by working with faculty members and Chemistry’s Grants & Accounts Specialist to gather information and prepare documents in support of scientific proposals for federal grants and contracts; generating and reviewing quarterly financial reports for faculty; working to support Chemistry’s Accountant and Purchasing Agent; providing support for accounting and financial analysis to programs and coordinating activities/conferences for research centers associated with Chemistry.
- Manage calendars of both the Chair and the Department Manager, including scheduling appointments, coordinating meetings with several participants, and managing the faculty meeting agendas and communications.
- Organize the department’s special named lectureships (Kennedy and Weissman) annually, including: making travel arrangements; developing itineraries; creating advertising posters, flyers, and seminar booklets; and managing communications with the visiting speaker. Schedule other department events (Chemistry Honors Banquet, holiday party, summer picnic, etc.) and support the department’s event coordinator in their execution.
- Manage other miscellaneous tasks; assembly of informational booklets for visiting faculty candidates, schedule and advertise department’s safety training; coordinate Shred-It pick-up, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field, and at least two years of related experience requiring managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a high-activity setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of experience working with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Very thorough and detail-oriented person with a grasp of the importance of accuracy and deadlines.
- Calm demeanor and sense of urgency in the face of pressures and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with faculty, staff, and students.
- Willingness to learn new computer-based systems and become proficient in their use.
- Discrete and be able to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaborative groups.
- Experience in creating, managing, and analyzing budgets and financial reports.
- Vision to be able to identify and resolve potential issues (logistical, budgetary, etc.) before they become problems;
- Ability to balance many tasks at one time in a high-activity setting and prioritize projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field.
- Four years of related experience.
- Previous accounting experience in a university setting.
- Strong working knowledge of Washington University systems: HRMS, AIS/FIS, SISAdmin, WUCRSL, Box, etc.
- Very strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
The hiring range for this position is $19.06 - $25.03 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. The Chemistry Department fully supports the University’s commitment and is dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving the university community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, protected veteran or disability status.
Job Title: Administrative Coordinator - Chemistry - School of Arts & Sciences - 50603
Job ID: 50603
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time